ABSTRACT EXPRESSION - (3/6)
Crisis of Subject Matter
- eliminatIon of design (structure)
- elimination of any objects or narrative potential
- all that is left is content - but what is the content?
- can content be communicated by marks built up of free gestures?
- Can brushstrokes carry content?
- process of painting becomes an intense unpremeditated search for the images of the creative experience
- tried to expose directly, in the process of painting, the changeable facts of their creative experience
- paint itself (the medium) becomes all-important as a metaphor of the artist's creativity