Professional Development Seminar MAT/STA 587
Academic integrity policy
1. (9/29) Intro to LyX
- HW: produce the following
Replace my name with yours. Keep all the features, including typefaces and placements.
Turn in a hard copy on which I can make comments.
Sample lyx file (right click) to give you a starting point.
Detexify might be useful to find latex macros.
2. (9/12) Professional article writing
- HW: write an article about the quadratic formula. You need to have all the parts we
discussed in class including sections, theorems, proofs, examples, figures, cross references,
bibtex, etc. Make sure you include everything listed
here. Solving an equation usually takes two steps.
First we show that the equation implies that a solution must be one of a few candidates. Then we check which of the
solution candidates actually work. Please read the
article about this.
- DUE in a couple of days after class: quiz
3. (9/20) Figures with
- HW: Recreate the
tikz figure about the derivative of the inverse. Use tikz to add your name to the figure
at the top right corner.
Continue working on the quadratic article.
- DUE: quiz corrections
4. (9/26) GeoGebra
- HW: Recreate the
Geogebra figure. Use Geogebra to add your name to the figure at the top right corner.
Can you spot a theorem in the figure? (not the Pythagorean Theorem)
- DUE: Tikz figure about the derivative of the inverse.
5. (10/03) Guest speaker: Robert Daugherty
- DUE: Geogebra figure.
6. (10/10) Guest speaker: Derek Sonderegger:
Data frames and ggplot2 in R.
A Sufficient Introduction to R.
- HW: RStudio assignment one: Exercise 1 of 11.5.
- DUE: quadratic formula article
7. (10/17) Guest speaker: Derek Sonderegger:
- HW: RStudio assignment two: Exercise 1 of 8.3.
- DUE: RStudio assignment one.
8. (10/24) Guest speaker: Rebecca Hoffman (Nationwide)
- DUE: RStudio assignment two.
- HW: Create a presentation about the Law of Sines. State and prove the full
version of the theorem as discussed in class. State the theorem required for the proof.
Include an example. Use GeoGebra to create the figures.
beamer lyx template,
(also in pdf format) .
10. (11/7) Basic Web page design,
NAU allows you to create web pages on the dana server.
- HW: Create a professional looking personal web page. Include at least one picture, some links, and some math. Send me the link to the site by email.
- DUE: CV or Resume. Please turn in a hardcopy.
11. (11/14) Guest speaker: Jeannie Backer (U.S. Geological Survey)
- HW: Use LyX/LaTeX to write a professional sample solution to the following problem:
"Solve the inequality \( | x + 1 | + | 2x - 3 | > 6 \) on the set of real numbers."
Use Tikz/Geogebra when appropriate.
Use 1-inch margins and 12 point font. Everything should read as a sentence. Equations written row-after-row are not
appropriate without an explanation of their logical connection. Include the statement of the problem.
This is an elementary problem. Avoid relying on analysis terms like increasing,
continuous, Intermediate Value Theorem. This means you cannot use test points to justify that a function has a certain
sign on a whole interval. You need to do case analysis and the definition of absolute value as a piecewised defined function.
Use interval notation whenever it is appropriate.
- DUE: Beamer presentation. Please send me the pdf file by email.
12. (11/21) Sage
- HW: Sage worksheet
- HW: Write a formal letter of application for the job description.
Keep in mind the following: An application is automatically rejected if the minimum qualifications are
not met. The screening committee assigns a numerical score for every preferred qualification
using an evaluation grid .
Addressing these points is crucially important.
- DUE: Personal web page. Please send me the link by email.
13. (11/28) Work as a Search Committee. Bring a hard copy of your letter of application and your CV.
- DUE: Formal letter of application. This is a hard deadline. We use this application letter on this day.
- DUE: Professional sample solution. Please turn in a hardcopy.
14. (12/5) Guest speaker: Kathryn Kozak, working in a Community College.
Problem solving and presenting (if time permits).
- DUE: Sage worksheet
Final deadline to finish all the assignments is: noon Monday December 12